I don't think the Sun jars example is the right one to discuss in this
situation.

Those Sun jars required a click-thru license, and obviously could not
be stored in Central. This email post does not seem to be talking
about Jars with licensing like that, rather complaining about Maven
not delivering notices required by BSD-style licenses -- notices which
could easily be included in the Jars themselves, right? Or are these
notices which must be ACKNOWLEDGED prior to using the code?

Wayne