I do not see why this is correct in central.
The more recent version 1.1 seems to be correctly deployed to central see:
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/javax/transaction/jta/1.1
You can see the jar file there.

We do not manage this dependency ourselfs. Jta is a transitive dependency,
that comes with hibernate 3.2.5.ga. And depending on the java.net Maven repo
is not a generic solution, becouse every developer or everry project need to
take manualy steps to configure this repo.

Regards,
Johan.

--
Johan Vogelzang