I was afraid of that.

I eventually manhandled the plugin in my pom.xml files that had pom
packaging to get the .project files, but it doesn't feel right:

<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
    <configuration>
        <packaging>jar</packaging>
    </configuration>
</plugin>

In the end it was a pyrrhic victory.  I was hoping to use the eclipse
Import...->Existing Projects into Workspace, but it stops recursing once it
finds a folder with a .project file--which is not terribly useful for a
multi-module projects with many component and sub-component parent poms.

Thanks for the response,
Jim