I'm finally getting the chance to migrate some of our m1 projects to m2, and
am wondering about the m2 way to do the following.

During our m1 test phase we replace macros such as @db.host@ in some config
files. The maven.xml file has a goal which defines some filters, and
individual developers can set properties such as db.host in their
build.properties file in the project root.

I'd like the same end result in m2 - that developers can use their local
database for testing. After Googling and looking at examples, it seems that
defining a profile in settings.xml might be the way to go, but that seems
like overkill for the simple macro replacement I'm trying to do. Is there a
better way to handle this in m2?

Thanks for any pointers.

    Jeff