I think the older versions of Surefire defaulted to forkMode never in which
case the MAVEN_OPTS settings would have applied.   The newer versions default
to once so they don't.  It could be a year ago, you were using Maven 2.0.9 or
similar that brought in an older surefire or something.

You COULD configure surefire to be forkMode never and see if that makes the
test pass.    Just a thought.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp