Likely because dependency plugin has bugs, and I'm suspecting that your
issue is similar/related to this
<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEP-204>one already reported.

But it's odd that it doesn't fail for you at module mod_c, as build reactor
should have ordered mod_c to be built/processed before mod_d. Just guessing,
maybe this mojo doesn't use maven reactor at all, and probably mod_c is
ordered in list of modules in your parent module after mod_d.

Regards,
Stevo.