Torsten --

I had the same problem with poms I installed locally using the
install:install-file task. Once I added '-DgeneratePom=true' to that command, I
noticed that maven no longer attempted to search the public repos. I'm new to
maven, so I can't confirm why this happened, but I suspect it had to do with the
fact that, without a pom (generated or otherwise) along with my local artifact,
maven did the correct thing and attempted to check in the remote repos whether
the version I had locally was most up to date.

Anyway, hope that helps, and maybe some more experienced maveners can shed more
light.

jon