I do not think I fully understand the different 'Provider' concept, but if
you are looking to run different types of tests in 1 suite, then you could
create a separate PROFILE in Maven, then your suite could have something
like:

<!DOCTYPE suite SYSTEM "http://testng.org/testng-1.0.dtd";>
<suite name="Functional_TestNG" verbose="1">

    *<parameter name="providerType" value="${provider.type}" />*
    <parameter name="application-address" value="
http://localhost:8889/webapp/"; /

    <test name="Service Tests - Generic">
        <packages>
            <package name="com.baselogic.service" />
        </packages>
    </test>

Or you could hard code them per test section:

    <test name="Service Tests - ProviderTypeA">
*         <parameter name="providerType" value="A" />*
        <packages>
            <package name="com.baselogic.service" />
        </packages>
    </test>

    <test name="Service Tests - ProviderTypeB">
*         <parameter name="providerType" value="B" />*
        <packages>
            <package name="com.baselogic.service" />
        </packages>
    </test>

Is this what you mean?

---
Thank You…

Mick Knutson, President

BASE Logic, Inc.
Enterprise Architecture, Design, Mentoring & Agile Consulting
p. (866) BLiNC-411: (254-6241-1)
f. (415) 685-4233

Website: http://baselogic.com
---