Hi Dave,

If you want to inherit the parent's groupId and version values, you simply remove them from the child's pom definition. In your case, the child pom would look like:

  <parent>
    <groupId>Myco.galc.capitol.tours</groupId>
    <artifactId>Myco-galc-capitol-tours</artifactId>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  </parent>

  <name>Myco GA Capitol Tours Webapp</name>
  <description>Myco GA Capitol Tours Webapp</description>
  <artifactId>Myco-galc-capitol-tours-webapp</artifactId>
  <packaging>war</packaging>

We also do this for our multi-module projects since it makes dependency management a little easier.

Hope this helps,

Joe Hindsley

laredotornado wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Maven 2.2.  In my maven project, I have this fragment in my
pom.xml at the project root ...

  <name>Myco GA Capitol Tours</name>
  <description>Myco GA Capitol Tours</description>
  <inceptionYear>2009</inceptionYear>

  <groupId>Myco.galc.capitol.tours</groupId>
  <artifactId>Myco-galc-capitol-tours</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>

Then I have a webapp sub-folder and I have this in the webapp/pom.xml ...

  <parent>
    <groupId>Myco.galc.capitol.tours</groupId>
    <artifactId>Myco-galc-capitol-tours</artifactId>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  </parent>

  <name>Myco GA Capitol Tours Webapp</name>
  <description>Myco GA Capitol Tours Webapp</description>
  <artifactId>Myco-galc-capitol-tours-webapp</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <packaging>war</packaging>

You'll notice I have "1.0-SNAPSHOT" hard-coded a couple of times in my
webapp/pom.xml.  Is there any way I can replace that with something that
will be automatically inherited from the parent?

Thanks, - Dave