As you say you either grant anonymous access to the repo or you don't. If
you don't allow anonymous access, every user needs to provide his/her
credentials. This is what the user specific settings.xml file is for. Put it
there.

If you think that creating that file is difficult for a user, you need to
look into some tool aiding you with that. One way is through a Maven plugin
included in Nexus Pro (the licensed version of Nexus), but it shouldn't be
too hard creating some default template file somewhere and then provide a
script or the command to copy that file.

/Anders