> <plugins> and <reportings> are SEPARATE configurations.

Which version is reported by "mvn help:describe -Dplugin="?

Anyway, if I change my simple pom to this (note this is a brand new project,
this pom.xml is the only thing in the directory, there is no parent
pom--other than super--I have not modified the maven install or any settings
file):

<project...>

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

    <groupId>com.redshiftsoft</groupId>
    <artifactId>redshift-pom</artifactId>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <version>1.0.0</version>

    <reporting>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>2.3</version>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </reporting>

</project>

mvn help:describe -Dplugin=resources

I still get:

Name: Maven Resources Plugin
  the output directory. There are two different kinds of resources: main
  resources and test resources. The difference is that the main resources
are
  the resources associated to the main source code while the test resources
are
  associated to the test source code. Thus, this allows the separation of
  resources for the main source code and its unit tests.
Group Id: org.apache.maven.plugins
Artifact Id: maven-resources-plugin
Version: 2.4.1
Goal Prefix: resources