I am unable to generate a changelog report using a git provider.

I have set up my POM with the following sections:
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-scm-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <connectionType>connection</connectionType>
        </configuration>
        <dependencies>
          <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.maven.scm</groupId>
            <artifactId>maven-scm-provider-gitexe</artifactId>
            <version>1.2</version>
          </dependency>
        </dependencies>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

  <reporting>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-changelog-plugin</artifactId>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </reporting>

  <scm>
    <connection>scm:git:git://github.com/jfinkels/jmona.git</connection>
    <url>http://github.com/jfinkels/jmona</url>
  </scm>

But I get the following error when trying to generate a report with "mvn
site":

  "Embedded error: Error rendering Maven report: Cannot run changelog
command :
   No such provider: 'git'."

There is a thread from June 2008 related to this topic here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/scm-us...@maven.apache.org/msg00055.html

How can I get a changelog report using git?