I work in a sandbox network and have similar issues.

What I do:
1) Internet Connected Host
1.1) Create pom contain all dependencies and plugins used.
1.2) mvn -s settings.xml clean install site
1.3) find, grep -v, sort -u, echo, cat sort -u, echo (obtain list of group
id's downloaded)
1.4) rsync list generated in 1.3
1.5) diff latest rsync with representation of offline repo
1.6) generate diff file, usually a tar.gz
1.7) update representation of offline repo with contents of step 1.6
1.8) burn step 1.6 to disk

2) Standalone Network Host
2.1) same as step 1.7, update repo with contents contained in step 1.6
2.2) Do a full build from the repo updated in step 2.1 to confirm it still
works.

3) Handling updates
3.1) update pom created in step 1.1 or manually update list in step 1.3
3.2) repeat step 1 and 2 when required to download the latest update and
dependencies, sometimes it takes a few attempts to fix all dependencies.

I've worked with offline maven development for a few years and usually I'm
the one managing the repo and it my best solution at this moment.

If you want to commands i execute let me know and I'll post them.

John