From: Weber, Stephan [mailto:stephan.we...@sap.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:35 AM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: reproducible builds with maven

Hi!

1.) to reproduce a maven build where poms contain intervals for
dependencies it would be nice to have a list of ALL used dependencies
and versions - even the used maven plugins and versions.

We played around with the dependency plugin:
We start with an empty local repo. After a mvn clean install we have
many more artifacts and plugins in the local repo than are reported by
the dependency plugin. How can we generate a complete 'used-deps-list'?

2.) Later we want to feed that used-deps-list into a maven call which
shall reproduce the old build. We assume that all used old versions of
dependencies and plugins are still in the repositories (our nexus). But
very likely there are already newer versions which we don't want to use,
too.

Maven should be able to use the previously generated 'used-deps-list' as
a white list filter: only the versions in the list will be used. More,
Maven itself shall only use maven plugin versions which are in the list,
too. Any newer versions must not be used.

Is there someone already working on a similar reproducibility approach?
Any suggestions?

Many thanks, Stephan