I have uploaded a second copy of my project

http://weseewhathappens.com/mvn2.zip

I took your suggestion and create a second module called assembly.  And
moved the assembly plugin there. I also added my other jars as dependencies.

At the top level if I run

mvn package, things work fine as expected.

if I run

mvn package assembly:assembly

I get

[INFO] Error reading assemblies: No assembly descriptors found.

I assume this is because I have no assembly at the top level.  Since I am
not installing the jar-a -> jar-b in the local repo I can't run assembly on
the sub module as I will get errors regarding missing dependencies.