I attempted the workaround listed in the ticket
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3139), namely:

1. Create a /src/site/site.xml file in the top-level maven project, containing:

[Code]
<project>
  <skin>
    <groupId>org.apache.maven.skins</groupId>
    <artifactId>maven-default-skin</artifactId>
    <version>1.0</version>
  </skin>
</project>
[/Code]

Now the "mvn site site-deploy" works, however, there is no longer any links on
the left-side menu, contrary to what I'd expect from a workaround. So, that's a
bunk workaround.

So, at this stage, our project is dead in the water until someone fixes the
site plugin to get around this 'missing skin' defect. Every Hudson build fails
with this error.

Have users experienced similar issues in the past? How long does it usually
take for a critical fix to get deployed to the central maven repos? Should I
start writing the ant scripts for our projects? ;)

Tom