Well, as always, it can be useful to explain what you want to do in the end,
instead of what you're trying with the tool at the moment.
Sometimes, it can help to provide a better global solution.

What plugin configuration are you using? If you're using the one you
provided, then no, it's not bound to package, it's currently bound to
"validate" phase.
See
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html#Build_Lifecycle_Basics
understand what the standard phases are for jar packaging.

So, did you try just replacing "validate" by "install" ?

Cheers