Thanks very much to all of you for your help !

I have found a very simple answer, which suggests to me that CURRENT
DOCUMENTATION IS MISSING AN IMPORTANT EXAMPLE.. how to exclude stuff from
the default webapp directory.   I will add this example to the maven user
wiki.. but for closure (i think)  on this topic, here is the trick i used:

 <build>
    <finalName>findFiles</finalName>
          <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <version>2.1-beta-1</version>
                <configuration>
                    <warSourceExcludes>**/*.jsp</warSourceExcludes>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
          </plugins>

  </build>

i'm attaching the entire sample project as well.

  regards .
  chris

--
Chris Bedford