Hi Jesse (and everyone),

you are more than welcome to not go so easy on me. I am a hands-on process improvement guy with many years of experience as a build engineer and release manager. I am also the Editor in Chief at CM Crossroads (www.cmcrossroads.com) where I write about topics related to configuration management including build engineering. I have worked with Ant, Make/GNU Make and MS Build along with Maven 1.0.2 and Maven 2.

I have been struggling to get my arms around Maven for some time now and wanted to make a concerted effort to get past my learning curve because it has become increasingly clear that Maven is the build tool of choice for Java applications. In my work, I have been asked several times to review existing Maven builds that had the problems that I described in the article. I did not create these problems. They were created by software developers who were, as you say, "a higher caliber maven user" than I am today.

I appreciate your comments which I am reviewing and I am glad to refactor my article on "Refactoring the Maven build", but I suspect that I am not the only person struggling to get up to speed with maven. Perhaps I am a little more daring because I am willing to publicly start the conversation. I would also suggest that Maven is tough for many people to master and it could be argued that we, as a community, could do a better job explaining the concepts and spreading the knowledge. I would like to be part of that effort.

So I will challenge you Jesse (and others) to share what you know (as you obviously do on this list) and also to help mentor the rest of us along. I will do my best to come up to speed as well and I can probably add some value by helping others along with their learning curve too. What other resources are there available for newbies to learn how to use Maven? I know of the PDF that we can all download and books published by O'Reilly and Packt. I have written a number of articles on Maven and will write lots more (which you are absolutely welcome to critique).
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-basics/13111-the-maven-super-pom
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-basics/13070-getting-started-with-maven
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-basics/11656-a-little-more-maven-102
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-basics/10379-maven-102-the-walk-down-memory-lane-you-may-very-well-need

Feel free to send me your articles and I will get them published (that includes articles from other beginners who climbing the stairs with me).

I will always be delighted incorporate feedback and suggestions as I try to be the best that I can be.

regards,

Bob
http://www.linkedin.com/in/BobAiello