Benson Margulies wrote:
I have this feeling that I'm missing something terribly obvious.

1: grab a tree and make some changes.
2: mvn. Now you've got SNAPSHOT versions in your local repository
3: someone else checks in a change and runs mvn deploy. Now the
snapshot repo has jars newer than the local repo.
4: run mvn and download those over top of the local mods.

Without patching all the version numbers, is there a best practice or
standard mechanism to stay out of this pickle?
What is the pickle? You have the latest version which is what you want if the person doing the deploy has done the deploy for a reason. If the version deployed is not better than the version that you have locally, you beat the crap out of the guy who deployed a version when they shouldn't have.

If people deploy crap into repositories, you will have a problem eventually.
If you put your version into your source management, the other person would have based his mods on yours or at least noticed the conflicts before he deployed.

Collaborative software development has to be done collaboratively.

Ron