On 3/19/10 1:01 PM, Mark H. Wood wrote:
>> If you put something up on Lulu or whatever, I would read it and I would
>> probably recommend it to others. There isn't enough documentation about
>> Maven; I just don't think the community can produce the type of
>> documentation you're describing.
>
> Depending on what you mean by "produce", I may have to disagree here.
>
> Community input is vital to discovering which Practices are Best.  One
> doesn't just sit and think until a nice neat list of BPs drops into
> one's brain; one collects a *lot* of stories about what has worked and
> not worked, looking for patterns.  It can't be done without the
> community's data, and it may be done much more easily and quickly if
> community members discuss and debate the meaning of the data as they
> accumulate.
>
> I don't mean to say that a sea of voices, all equal, will necessarily
> produce a high-quality piece of scholarship.  The effort needs a good
> leader with an eye for patterns, to guide discussions along promising
> paths as they emerge, and to organize the resulting understanding into
> a coherent whole.

Mark,
I think we're actually in agreement. Of course community input is vitial
to any documentation effort. But someone (and you could call this an
author, editor, curator, etc.) needs to collect these "stories" and
contextualize them. And at the end of the day, it is this person who
needs to be able to say "These are what I think are the best practices."
...which is what I meant by "Ron's Best Practices." With a wiki
free-for-all, I just don't think anyone is going to take on this kind of
ownership.

Justin