In case anyone is following this thread or finds it while solving their own problem in
the future,
here is what I ended up having to do:

            InputStream is =
                Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader()
                      .getResourceAsStream(testResource);

Apparently there are some weird things going on with the JUnit ClassLoader. Also, if
you are
attempting to access a resource in the root directory (directly under test-classes)
then be sure
to prefix your resource with a "/" (i.e. "/text.xml").

Thanks to those who tried to help!

WM