How can you run integration or acceptance tests separately from the compile
and package lifecycle phases using maven? In other words - given that all my
artifacts have already been generated and are available in my local maven
cache (from a prior run of mvn install) or in the remote repository after a
deploy - is it possible to run something like "mvn verify" or even "mvn
failsafe:verify" but WITHOUT running the earlier lifecycle phases again? We
want to test on other platforms using the prior generated artifacts. It
would be ok to recompile the test classes again, but not the artifact
sources.

There are a few pages up already about how to write integration tests - and
a few solutions and a few JIRA issues filed, but I've not found anything
that explicitly looks at the desire to avoid doing the compilation and
packaging again - and only to rely on currently installed or deployed
artifacts for testing.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-142 SUREFIRE-142

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-failsafe-plugin/usage.html
maven-failsafe-plugin