> could you please elaborate a bit on these "few reasons"?

Stolen from an email by Jorg Schaible in Nov 2009...

In short: Don't do it, it is not supported by the Maven classloader.

Long version: Maven loads every plugin/Mojo only once either because it is
used in the POM by the user or because some malicious plugin loads it as
dependency. Now, if the user and the malicious plugin do not agree over the
plugin's version and the plugin versions are no longer compatible, the build
simply breaks.

> resolve its dependency on the xml-maven-plugin. I can't see the difference
> between depending on a plugin artifact and depending on a jar artifact.

There is a great difference for reasons internal to Maven.

Wayne