Right if its not in a public Maven repository you have to add it to
yours.  Ideally you will have an internal Maven proxy server such as
Artifactory/Nexus where you can deploy it once and all can get it from
there.

(Regarding iText 5.x the reason that's not in a public maven is the
license has changed greatly starting with this version.)

-Dave