I've had that when upgrading to Cygwin 1.7, and it was a Cygwin issue that I
fixed it with.  I've never seen it since modifying my .profile:

export CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning

I'm pretty sure this is a Cygwin issue, not Maven.

For instance, from the "What's New" page on Cygwin 1.7:
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ov-new1.7.html

On the first usage of a DOS path (C:\foo, \\foo\bar), the Cygwin DLL emits a
> scary warning that DOS paths shouldn't be used. This warning may be disabled
> via the new CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning setting.

Do you have this setting configured when you open up a terminal (either by
placing in your .profile, .bash_profile, or .bashrc file)?

-Nick