First off, release:prepare isn't a phase, it's a goal.

Secondly, my guess is that you're misdiagnosing the problem. Running
release:perform with -X would confirm this. Instead, what I think is
happening is that your command line properties aren't being passed to
the forked Maven instance. Take a look at
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/perform-release.html.

There isn't, AFAIK, a way to pass through command-line properties from
release:perform to the forked instance. Instead, what you should do is
create a profile and set the properties you want set during a release
and then include the profile name in the releaseProfiles property of the
release plugin.

HTH,
Justin