On 17 May 2010 14:13, Markus Muenkel <markus.muen...@fernuni-hagen.de>wrote:

>  I'm releasing a Maven2 multi-module project. One of the modules is a POM
>>> project ("assembly project") that uses the maven-assembly-plugin in order
>>> build an assembly (zip archive). The artifacts to be assembled are
>>> specified
>>> via dependencies in the POM. They point to modules contained in the same
>>> multi-module project.
>>>
>>> When running mvn release:prepare on the multi-module project, the build
>>> of
>>> the assembly project fails with the message that the dependencies cannot
>>> be
>>> resolved. These dependencies are reported with the version that should be
>>> released, e.g. 0.0.3. Before running the goal, all dependency versions
>>> are
>>> 0.0.3-SNAPSHOT.
>>>
>>> What seems to happen is that the snapshot version 0.0.3-SNAPSHOT is
>>> replaced by 0.0.3 and then the assembly plugin is started (which is bound
>>> the package phase).
>>>

>> what goal did you bind with?
>>
>> It needs to be assembly:single
>>

> Yes, it is <goal>single</goal>
>

>>  The assembly plugin tries to resolve the dependencies based on version
>>> 0.0.3 which however do not yet exist at that point.
>>>

>> The exist in the reactor, providing the project in which assembly is being
>> invoked has dependencies on those artifacts so that maven knows the build
>> order must build the dependent projects first.
>>
>> to test if you have this working, here is a simple test procedure:
>> 1. mvn versions:set -DnewVersion=0.0.3-reltesting-SNAPSHOT
>> 2. mvn clean verify
>> 3. mvn versions:rollback
>>
> 3. mvn versions:revert
>
> I executed this test procedure on the assembly project and in fact it
> produces the same problem as described above: the artifacts to be assembled
> are looked up in the repository with version 0.0.3-reltesting-SNAPSHOT and
> the build fails because the artifacts have not yet been installed with this
> version.
>
> For me it looks like a hen-and-egg problem: releasing the assembly project
> implies building the assembly in the release version, but the assembly in
> turn requires the released artifacts to be installed in the repository.
>
> Would it be possible to have the release procedure work like this:
> 1) Release plugin changes the version in the multi module project (that
> includes the assembly project and the artifacts to be assembled), i.e. to
> 0.0.4
> 2) The artifacts to be assembled are built and installed in the repository
> in version 0.0.4
> 3) The assembly is run and picks up the artifacts to be assembled from the
> repository in version 0.0.4
> 4) The assembly project is installed in the repository in version 0.0.4
> Currently the install step in 2) is not happening -- this seems to be the
> crucial part

If you bind things to the correct phases and have the correct project
structure then there is no need to invoke the local repository and
everything is resolved from the reactor.

You just need to restructure your project.

Where is the assembly created?

Where is that in relation to it's dependencies?

you cannot create an assembly in a project which is the
xpath:/project/parent of the dependencies to be included in the assembly

-Stephen