*I have set Window -> Preferences -> Maven -> Installed to a external 2.2.1
instance and have enabled this as the default maven instance. But,
whatever "24/05/10 9:50:53 AM: Maven Builder: AUTO_BUILD" is - it still
using the 3.0-SNAPSHOT embedded maven instance. It refuses to use the
external maven (2.2.1) instance I have configured. I have deliberately set
the enforcer to Maven 2.2.1 so that this doesn't happen (+1 for enforcer
actually working, CHEERS).*
*
*
http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/m2eclipse-faq.html#17

Why is it working from the command line but not in m2eclipse

Because m2eclipse is using the embedded Maven
runtime<http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/m2eclipse-faq.html#version.html>
in
Maven 3.0, you can see differences in the execution between m2eclipse and
command line when Maven 2.1.x is used. We hope that such regressions and
incompatibilities will be fixed in the future releases of Maven 3.0. Note
that m2eclipse is always using embedded Maven runtime when running Maven
builder, importing projects and updating project configuration, however you
can configure m2eclipse to use external Maven installation when launching
Maven using "Run as… / Maven XXX" actions.

The above statement seems incorrect... I can't clearly can't configure
m2eclipse to use an external maven instance for the AUTO_BUILD. In fact, I
tried to uninstall the "Maven Embedded v3.0.0.200912160759" but Haahahaha it
say's it's required by other plugins - indicating that m2eclipse really is
dependent on 3.0-SNAPSHOT.

I just want to use eclipse 2.2.1, how can I do this? Can I rollback to an
old version of m2eclipse? Life is very painful for everyone on my dev team
right now :'(

Any help would be most appreciated, cheers.
--AH