you'll hit classloader issues.

best solution is just to copy whole the maven-plugin you want to extend and
delete the stuff you don't want.

to summarize the issues:

1. Classloader issues with maven-plugin dependencies (i.e. in Maven 2.x the
first version of any ___maven-plugin___ loaded in the reactor is the only
version loaded)

2. Plugin metadata issues (i.e. maven-plugin-plugin does not merge metadata
from maven-plugin dependencies)

So the end result is keep the <packaging>maven-plugin</packaging> modules as
small as possible, essentially just enough to hook into maven, and have them
depend on a <packaging>jar</packaging> module which does the heavy lifting
(jar dependencies are not subject to the classloader issues of maven-plugin
dependencies that Maven 2.x has)... oh and bonus, you are now not tied to
Maven as a build tool.

Maven Best Practice #1

Do not tightly tie your build to a specific build tool. We believe that
Maven is the best Java build tool out there, but competition is good and
helps us make things better, so we'd like it to be as easy as possible to
migrate away from Maven so that either you can realise that we are the best
and switch back, or we sit up and take notice and improve ourselves until
you switch back.

-Stephen