Nicola and Todd,

This is *exactly* what I was looking for! The article Todd mentioned explains it very well, both the challenges and the solutions.

Cheers!

Ernst de Haan

Op 25 mei 2010 om 15:03 heeft "Thiessen, Todd (Todd)" <tthies...@avaya.com > het volgende geschreven:\

I use this method described by Nicole as well. Its described in great detail in the definitive guide.

http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnex-book/reference/optimizing-sect-dependencies.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Ernst de Haan [mailto:er...@ernstdehaan.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:58 AM
To: Maven Users List
Cc: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Sharing a version among different modules

Thanks, Nicola. Interesting alternative!

So if I understand you correctly, you have version numbers on
the aggregator and on modules below that, but you just keep
those to a fixed vale (say "0") and use the root parent
version to the outside world?

Cheers,

Ernst de Haan

Op 25 mei 2010 om 14:28 heeft Nicola Musatti
<nicola.musa...@objectway.it  > het volgende geschreven:\

I keep all version numbers in the dependencyManagement
section of my
parent POM, which is different from my aggregator POM and
is parent to
the aggregator and all its modules. In this way I specify
each version
exactly once. Something like:

<dependencyManagement>
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>bouncycastle</groupId>
<artifactId>bcprov-jdk13</artifactId>
<version>140</version>
</dependency>
</dependencyManagement>

dependencyManagement is a direct child of the project element.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti

Ernst de Haan wrote:
- in the parent pom.xml, to denote the project version

you need this

- in each module, to denote the module version

just leave out the version and it will inherit it from the parent
pom

- in each module's reference to the parent

you need this

- in each module's reference to a sibling

  <dependency>
    <groupId>${project.parent.groupId}</groupId>
    <artifactId>sibling-one</artifactId>
    <version>${project.parent.version}</version>
  </dependency>

Thanks a lot Kristian, this indeed improves the situation
a *lot*.
Instead of 10 references for 3 modules, I am now able to reduce it
to:

   1 + (1 per module)

However, I'll continue my quest to further reduction of
replication,
as my ultimate goal is still to have the version number in
one place.
Perhaps XInclude or so will do the trick.

Thanks heaps!

Ernst