My advice is to fit your needs into Maven's standard directory layout
(project structure).

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

Your main source and junit source will fit well there.  Unsure how your
helper classes fit in but it seems to me that the case can probably be made
for that to be packaged within the test source branch as well.

SF