have you tried changing the forkMode?

Additionally the version of surefire that is locked down is AFAIK different
between 2.0.9 and 2.2.1.

I think, but I am not sure, that 2.0.9 uses 2.4.2 unless you have locked
down the plugin version
whereas 2.1.0 and 2.2.1 use 2.4.3 unless you have locked down the plugin
version.

One of the changes between 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 is
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-491 (see
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE/fixforversion/14255)

I am going to make a wild stab in the dark and guess that it is SUREFIRE-491
that is causing your test failures, i.e. your tests were relying on a bug in
surefire

The solution is to define for the surefire plugin exactly what system
properties you want to pass through to the forked JVM (or else use forkMode
= none (not recommended)

-Stephen