This assembly puts the dependencies in the archives but also seems to include the transitive dependencies of the jars and adds them as well. This is not what I want since the top level jars were built by the assembly plug-in as a "jar-with-dependencies" and contain all of the dependencies already. So I am ending up with 2 copies of every bottom level jar(one at the top level of the tar and another inside the "jar-with-dependencies" jar.

<assembly>
<id>lms-deployment-jars</id>
<formats>
<format>tar</format>
<format>zip</format>
</formats>
<includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>
<unpack>true</unpack>
<dependencySets>
<dependencySet>
</dependencySet>
</dependencySets>
</assembly>

I want to exclude all of the transitive dependencies.
can I do this or is there a better way to build a tar of a set of "jar-with-dependencies" jar files?

Ron