well one assumes that you have correctly defined the /project/url parameter.

there are a number of multi-module releases at apache and codehaus all of
which deploy their site via

mvn site-deploy

or via mvn release:perform

and I have not seen issues with the links in the deployed sites as long as
the /project/url xml value has been correctly defined / omitted for each
project in the multimodual build

I have not tried with file:/// as a protocol onlt webdav via https:// [for
the mojo ones] and scp [for the apache ones]

It might help if you shared what version of maven and the maven-site-plugin
you are using

-Stephen