> Well after some extensive experimentation with creating a custom lifecycle,
> it appears as though using war:explode in components.xml with
> <packaging>war</packaging> in the POM may not be possible.

As I understand it, this is correct because Maven already has a
pre-defined lifecycle for projects of type war. You could potentially
produce a fully-customized build of Maven that did not contain the
pre-defined war packaging lifecycle, but I wouldn't want to be
involved in supporting it and mandating your developers to use it
instead of the usual Maven distribution etc.

> When I use <packaging>exploded</packaging>, it works ok.  But I don't think
> this is feasible to use for a WAR project and not sure how to do this for a
> EAR project (which contains one or more WARs).

You would probably need to produce both exploded-war and exploded-ear
packaging types and corresponding custom lifecycles.

You may also find this webpage to be helpful, if you haven't already
been reading it:
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/08/create-a-customized-build-process-in-maven/

Wayne