Martin Höller wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 7. Juli 2010 18:46:34 schrieb asookazian:
>> There is some limited coverage of creating a custom lifecycle here:
>> http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnref-book/reference/writing-plugins-sect-cu
>>stom-lifecycle.html
>>
>> but it also covers forking and parallel lifecycles, I'm not sure I'm
>> really
>> interested in that.  I want to change the package lifecycle so that it
>> uses
>> war:explode goal rather than war:war goal.
>
> What about just configuring the war:explode goal in your pom.xml? war:war
> would still be executed, but is this a problem?
>
> hth,
> - martin

I just realized something very basic after reading first chapter of Maven 2:
Effective Implementation.  "The web application archive is produced in the
target directory, which is Maven's default working directory.  There you
will find both the target/simple-webapp subdirectory that contains the
exploded, or unpacked, web application contents ready to be packaged, and
the target/simple-webapp.war file that contains those files after the
packaging process."

So perhaps if the unpack goal of the jboss-maven-plugin was modified to use
the already exploded WAR in the exploded EAR, then we would be good.  At
least as far as JBoss users are concerned...

public void unpack( File zipFile, File targetDir )
        throws IOException
    {
        FileInputStream in = new FileInputStream( zipFile );
        ZipInputStream zipIn = new ZipInputStream( in );

        File dir = targetDir.getCanonicalFile();
        dir.mkdirs();
        ZipEntry entry;
        while ( ( entry = zipIn.getNextEntry() ) != null )
        {
            if ( entry.isDirectory() )
            {
                continue;
            }
            String file = targetDir + "/" + entry.getName();

            new File( file ).getParentFile().getCanonicalFile().mkdirs();

            FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream( file );
            streamcopy( zipIn, out );
            out.close();
        }
        zipIn.close();