This is the description on the source paramenter of the compiler
plugin page (of the goal compile:compile):

source:
The -source argument for the Java compiler.

    * Type: java.lang.String
    * Since: 2.0
    * Required: No
    * Expression: ${maven.compiler.source}
    * Default: 1.5

How can I get that value? If it is not evaluable as an expression, how
can I know how it will be evaluated by the plugin?
My JavaHome points to a Java 1.6 but as far as I know the 2.0.2
compiler use 1.4 compilation, isn't it?