I'm having local network problems reaching maven central repo (not
pingable, traceroute fails).  Whilst these are being fixed I set up a
proxy in my settings.xml

        <proxies>
                <proxy>
                        <active>true</active>
                         <protocol>http</protocol>
                         <host>www.randomizer.info</host>
                         <port>80</port>
                </proxy>
        </proxies>

However,  my build is still stalling on attempted downloads from repo2.maven.org

[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
Downloading:
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/santuario/xmlsec/1.4.0/xmlsec-1.4.0.pom
  <<<< LONG WAIT >>>>
[WARNING] Unable to get resource
'org.apache.santuario:xmlsec:pom:1.4.0' from repository maven.central
(http://repo2.maven.org/maven2): Erro
r transferring file: Server returned HTTP response code: 503 for URL:
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/santuario/xmlsec/1.4.0/xmlsec
-1.4.0.pom

Can anyone offer any clues as to why this is the case please?