On 23 August 2010 15:28, Wayne Fay <wayne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apache Commons NET currently uses the groupId commons-net. However, it
>> should really use the groupId org.apache.commons.
>
> Unless you're responsible for these artifacts (a member of the Apache
> Commons NET PMC), you're going to have a lot of trouble doing anything
> about this. Appeal to them. Make sure that all future releases use
> what you are saying is the "proper" groupId.

I am on the Commons PMC and proposed releasing Net with the new
groupId, but was told that it was necessary to change the package name
to prevent problems.

That seemed like a serious restriction so I thought I would ask on the
Maven list for a second opinion.

> Until then, use dependency exclusions to block the commons-net grouped
> artifacts that are coming in via other dependencies in your project.

Thanks, that's useful to know - but not necessary here.