On 28/8/2010 2:12 μμ, mudit tuli wrote:
Hi,

When I do maven package, this gives me a bloated WAR with all the
dependencies which is 19MB in size.

For some reasons I need to deploy WAR onto my VPS time and again to test.

But deploying a 19MB war is time consuming, can I try to strip off the
dependency JARs in the WAR ?

Tried packaging a skinny war and referenced the the dependency jars with
shared.loader in catalina.properties, is this the right way to do it ?

Using maven2 and tomcat6.

Not to mention, I am very new to maven.

Mudit Tuli

(I am very new to maven too)
I do not know what VPS is. Is it Virtual Private Server?
Anyway, from the context of your text, I guess that you are talking about deploying a war file into a Tomcat Server (?).
Do you include third-party jars in your war? For example, log4j.jar?
I suppose that you can avoid putting third party jars into your war and put them in the lib directory of Tomcat. You can use these jars only at compile time and not at package time. For example, you can have the following in your pom.xml:

<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>log4j</groupId>
<artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
<version>1.2.8</version>
<scope>compile</scope>
</dependency>
</dependencies>

This will not include log4j.jar into your war.

I do not know whether this is of any help to you?

Panayotis