Sorry - "m-assembly-p"  im not familliar with that abbreviation.

So - going back to a simple example, I used the example on including module
sources here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/multimodule/module-source-inclusion-simple.html

Based on that, my src.xml looks like this:
<assembly xmlns="
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.0";
  xsi:schemaLocation="
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/assembly-1.1.0.xsd";>
  <id>src</id>
  <formats>
    <format>dir</format>
  </formats>
  <includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>
  <moduleSets>
    <moduleSet>
      <includes>
        <include>myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.ear</include>
        <include>myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.rar</include>
      </includes>
      <sources>
        <outputDirectory>sources/${artifactId}</outputDirectory>
      </sources>
    </moduleSet>
  </moduleSets>
</assembly>

The top level pom has this:
  <modules>
    <module>OC4J_TNM_BE.war</module>
    <module>OC4J_TNM_BE.ear</module>
    <module>OC4J_TNM_BE.rar</module>
  </modules>
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <version>2.2-beta-5</version>
        <configuration>
          <descriptors>
            <descriptor>src/assemble/src.xml</descriptor>
          </descriptors>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
I run:  mvn clean package  with no errors
then I run: mvn assembly:directory  and it creates the sources folder just
fine.  SO I change the src.xml as follows, to add a binaries option
    <moduleSet>
      <includes>
        <include>myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.ear</include>
        <include>myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.rar</include>
      </includes>
      <sources>
        <outputDirectory>sources/${artifactId}</outputDirectory>
      </sources>
      <binaries>
        <outputDirectory>bin</outputDirectory>
        <unpack>false</unpack>
      </binaries>
    </moduleSet>
Then I re-run:  mvn assembly:directory and I get the following output:
[INFO] [assembly:directory {execution: default-cli}]
[INFO] Reading assembly descriptor: src/assemble/src.xml
[WARNING] [DEPRECATION] Use of <moduleSources/> as a file-set is deprecated.
Please use the <fileSets/> sub-element of <moduleSource
s/> instead.
[INFO] Processing sources for module project:
myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.ear:ear:1.0
[INFO] Processing sources for module project:
myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.rar:rar:1.0
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error creating assembly: Artifact: myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.rar:rar:1.0
(included by module) does not have an artifact with a file.
 Please ensure the package phase is run before the assembly is generated.
Theres been no changes other than adding 4 lines to the src.xml assembly
descriptor.  I verified the rar file is present in the project's output
directory.  I also tried running mvn install to put things in my local
repository, but I still get the same error.

Now also - since the best practice is to put the packaging in its own
project, I created a _package project, and moved the assembly stuff into
there.
>From the top level pom I run:  mvn package  no errors, everything is built
like I expect.
the _package project pom.xml has this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"; xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; xsi:schemaLocation="
http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd";>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>myCompany</groupId>
  <artifactId>OC4J_TNM_BE_package</artifactId>
  <version>1.0</version>
  <name>${Component}_package</name>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <parent>
    <artifactId>OC4J_TNM_BE</artifactId>
    <groupId>myCompany</groupId>
    <version>1.0</version>
  </parent>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>myCompany</groupId>
      <artifactId>OC4J_TNM_BE.ear</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
      <type>ear</type>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>myCompany</groupId>
      <artifactId>OC4J_TNM_BE.rar</artifactId>
      <version>1.0</version>
      <type>rar</type>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <version>2.2-beta-5</version>
        <configuration>
          <descriptors>
            <descriptor>src/assemble/src.xml</descriptor>
          </descriptors>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
</project>
the src.xml file is the same as I listed above.
Now when I move to the _package project and run:  mvn assembly:directory, I
get the following:
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[INFO] Building OC4J_TNM_BE_package
[INFO]    task-segment: [assembly:directory] (aggregator-style)
[INFO]
[INFO] Preparing assembly:directory
[INFO]
[INFO] Building OC4J_TNM_BE_package
[INFO]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor {execution: default-attach-descriptor}]
[INFO] [assembly:directory {execution: default-cli}]
[INFO] Reading assembly descriptor: src/assemble/src.xml
[WARNING] The following patterns were never triggered in this artifact
inclusion filter:
o  'myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.ear'
o  'myCompany:OC4J_TNM_BE.rar'
[WARNING] [DEPRECATION] Use of <moduleSources/> as a file-set is deprecated.
Please use the <fileSets/> sub-element of <moduleSource
s/> instead.
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error creating assembly: Error creating assembly archive src: You
must set at least one file.
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 7 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Sep 21 11:07:51 PDT 2010
[INFO] Final Memory: 17M/254M
[INFO]

What am I missing here?