On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<antonio.petre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think all of this mess is solvable by using a private Maven
> repository, like Nexus.
> If I understand you correctly, you want to do this since you cannot
> access to a pre-built version of B. Deploy a repository, you'll
> (development) life will be better :-D

I didn't mention it, but that actually is one use case that we would
like to support, although I don't believe it is critical.  It would be
nice to be able to build all our internal components 100% from scratch
without any Maven repository existing.  But I know this would require
even more work because if there are no pom.xml in any Maven
repository, that means I can't have Maven do a complete dependency
analysis as a pre-step.  I would have to hook into where it does
dependency analysis to have it check out pom.xml from SVN instead of
looking in a normal Maven repository, and I'm guessing it is harder to
hook in there.

But fortunately, supporting that use case isn't critical.  The use
case I mainly need to support is when I already have a repository full
of artifacts, but because I want to modify a dependency, I want to
check out that dependency's source, and I want Maven to help me check
out the right version since Maven knows what version I need as
specified in the pom.xml files.

Phillip