I'm talking about the dependency section in the pom.xml file where you're
trying to unpack your artifact.  It doesn't matter if the pom.xml of your
artifact has an overall packaging of pom, if you're using the assmbly plugin
it's going to deploy an additional artifact of type zip.
You don't need to specify a type in the plugin configuration at all.  Just let
it pick up whatever you specify in your <dependency> element.

eric