Thank you.

So, based on the three different urls below, plus the installation instructions
at http://maven.apache.org/download.html#Installation, it seems like a summary
of the current status is:
   The Maven 3 user directory is still .m2
   The Maven 3 environment variable is still M2_HOME
   A new environment variable may be used in the future (M3_HOME? MVN_HOME?),
but if it's not set maven will fallback to using M2_HOME
   The user directory may change to .mvn in the future, but what happens if a
.m2 directory already exists hasn't been decided yet.

eric