>And, are you behind a proxy? Did you set it in settings.xml?
Yes, i set it. Indeed i see my local repository "increase"

>If yes, are you using an archetype plugin version prior to 2.0?
Honestly i don't know. I simply download maven 3.0, configure the proxy and
try the simpler command

mvn archetype:generate -DgroupId=com.mycompany.app \
-DartifactId=my-app -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-quickstart \
-DinteractiveMode=false

to start. Where can i find the "archetype plugin version"?