I suspect that this is because you are not using remoteTagging=true
for your release, so it is trying to create the tag from the working
copy.

the pom is not really designed to handle more than two valid scm
connection urls (1 is the at least read-only url and the other dev
connection is at least read-write)

when making a release you really should be using the connection
specified in the devConnection part of the scm section.

for svn, setting remote tagging to true should work around your issue somewhat.

-Stephen