uh, oh.  We depend on being able to specify that as empty too.  I hope this
gets fixed before it starts affecting my builds.
However, are you sure this is really an issue?  I just tried one of my builds
which needs an empty <id> element.  I tried using the default version of the
plugin (2.2-beta-2), and forcing it to the most recent version (which appears
to be 2.2-beta-5), and it works fine for me.
What version are you using?

eric