We have a common project parent-pom, and a build-resources-bundle project
containing various "build" resources, bundled into a Jar artifact.  One of these
resources is used in configuring the maven remote-resources-plugin, for
instance.

We start with the configuration where both the parent-pom and
build-resources-bundle are at version 1-SNAPSHOT.

The parent-pom is set up as an aggregator pom, with one child: the
build-resources-bundle project.

Executing mvn release:prepare on the parent-pom causes the prepare phase to go
and update the versions of these from 1-SNAPSHOT to "1" for the "tag".  However,
this process does not notice that the remote-resource-plugin's configuration in
the parent-pom is specifying the build-resources-bundle at version 1-SNAPSHOT -
so that version is *not* updated.

If a release:perform were to be done, it would build from the tag checkout, and
configure the remote-resources-plugin to use the 1-SNAPSHOT version of the
build-resources-bundle; I want it to be using the "1" version of the bundle.

To work around this, I could run the release:prepare, and then update manually,
the tag, to update the reference from 1-SNAPSHOT to 1.

The other thing I could imagine doing is uncoupling these two artifacts, and
releasing the build-resources-bundle separately.  This would require that I
duplicate a bunch of things from the common project parent-pom, into the
build-resources-bundle, and do a separate release cycle, just for it, and then
have the parent-pom depend on the released version.

What is the "maven way" for doing this kind of thing?

-Marshall Schor