I have tried setting up site.xml in a parent pom project, with the following:

<site>

  <project name="iCAMS">

    <bannerLeft>
      <name>iCAMS</name>
      <src>images/AER_logo_k.jpg</src>
      <href>http://aerosource.aero.org/icams</href>
    </bannerLeft>

    <bannerRight>
      <src>http://maven.apache.org/images/maven-small.gif</src>
    </bannerRight>

        <publishDate position="right"/>

        <version position="right"/>

        <poweredBy>
                <logo name="Aerospace Application Development Department"
                href="https://aerosource.aero.org/add";
                img="images/AER_logo_k.jpg"/>
        </poweredBy>

    <menu name="iCAMS Project" inherit="top">
        <item name="Overview" href="index.html"/>
    </menu>
    <menu ref="reports"/>
    <links>
          <item name="Aerosource Project" href="http://aerosource/icams"/>
      <item name="Inside Aerospace" href="http://info.aero.org/"/>
      <item name="Aerospace Corporation" href="http://www.aero.org/"/>
    </links>
</site>

However, when I run mvn site-deploy and access the site, the graphics I
mention are not shown. I do see my index.html as the Overview page, but if I
navigate to any link in the navigation panel, I can no longer return to
Overview (it is not included in the panel). None of my links are included
either.

This looks like a wonderfully powerful way to document our project
(multi-module with a grandparent POM project, a parent POM project (with
modules) and modules under that.  But, I have yet to make this basic part
work.  Is there any better documentation of this customization, or working
example to follow?

Thanks!

Ginni